2020 EU PiG Grand Prix opens for entries
The 2020 European Pig Innovation Group (EU PiG) Grand Prix is open for entries until 31st January 2020. All pig producers are invited to enter their innovative ideas and examples of on-farm best practice in this annual EU-wide contest, with up to 300 producers competing to become an EU PiG Ambassador.
EU PiG is looking for entries that tackle one of eight Grand Prix challenges, identified as current priorities by the industry, within the project’s key themes of health management, meat quality, animal welfare and precision production.
The eight Grand Prix challenges this year are:
- African Swine Fever (ASF) biosecurity measures
- Use of slaughter data to improve health outcomes
- How to promote pork to consumers?
- Being competitive in small-scale farming: developing a niche-market for pork
- Solutions for heat stress
- Strategies for dealing with piglets from hyper prolific sows
- Reducing costs
- Increasing overall farm sustainability
Winning one of the eight Ambassador titles in the EU PiG Grand Prix gives producers the chance to receive international recognition of their success, share their best practice with other producers, get in touch with other Ambassadors to perhaps find their next big idea and achieve added motivation for staff.
EU PiG aims to raise the competitiveness of the European pig industry by connecting producers and sharing tried and tested best practice and innovations.
For full details of the eight challenges for 2020 and how to enter, along with case studies on the previous years’ winning Ambassadors, producers should go to: eupig.eu/grand-prix