British Poultry Student Chef of The Year 2019 winner announced
A catering student from New City College, London has been crowned British Poultry Student Chef of the Year 2019.
Siven Jr Pillay, 19, won the competition, organised by The British Poultry Council, with his starter of ‘Turkey Leg Terrine, Heritage Beetroot Chutney, Smoked Mustard, Tarragon Oil & Turkey Scratching’.
He will go on to cook his dish for around 280 guests at the British Poultry Awards later in the year.
The runner up in the competition was 2018 champion Bayan Zuraiki, of UWL, for her main course of ‘Turkey roll with tomato sauce, couscous, baba ghanoush, spinach and crispy skin’.
The competition, organised by the British Poultry Council, challenges students from catering colleges all over the country to develop an innovative and delicious starter or main course using turkey.
Entries were received from all across the UK with just 8 students shortlisted to take part in the cook off, which was held at University College Birmingham.
The judging panel for the cook off included: Clay Burrows from Aviagen Turkeys Ltd, sponsors of the competition, James Dugan, executive chef at The Sheraton Park Lane, Tony Robertson, consultant chef, David Neilson, general manager at Avara Foods Ltd and Sheila Eggleston of Stockpot and Cost Sector Catering magazines.
In addition to work experience at The Sheraton Park Lane in the run up to the British Poultry Awards, the winner receives £200 of catering vouchers for themselves and £300 vouchers for their colleges.
Clay Burrows said: “This year was the toughest year we’ve had in the history of the competition; the standard of entries was fantastic, and the students brought a new level of creativity and innovation to the competition, shining a light on the versatility of British turkey.
“The winner did really well, and we can’t wait to see his dish served at the British Poultry Awards”
The winner will receive their trophy at the British Poultry Industry Awards which takes place on Thursday 19th September at The Sheraton Park Lane.
British Poultry Student Chef Finalists 2019
- Malaysian Style Breast of Turkey, Braised Turkey Bon Bon, Coconut Laska – Jane Bryan-Brown – New City College, London.
- Turkey and Juniper Sausage Roll, Bacon Jam and Brown Sauce – Dean Burnham – North Warwickshire and Hinckley College.
- Smoked Turkey Terrine, Pickled Mushrooms, Dill Mayonnaise, Crispy Capers, Dill Oil – Ryan Howarth – North Warwickshire and Hinckley College.
- Turkey Leg & Ham Hock Terrine, Heritage Beetroot Chutney, Smoked Mustard, Tarragon Oil & Turkey Scratching – Siven Jr Pillay – New City College, London.
- Open Ravioli of Braised Turkey Leg, Basil Oil and a White Wine and Parmesan Sauce – Max Shipton – University of West London.
- Turkey, Caramelised Onion and Mushroom Tart with Fennel Salad – Bayan Zuraiki – University of West London.
- Pan Roasted Breast of Turkey, Barley & Turkey Risotto, Charred Leek Puree, Broad Beans & Peas, Wild Mushroom Sauce, Wild Mushroom Foam – Jane Bryan-Brown – New City College London.
- Turkey Escalope with a Potato Rosti, Beetroot, Crispy Capers – Dean Burnham – North Warwickshire and Hinckley College
- Roasted Herb-Crusted Turkey Thighs with Honey-Glazed Chantenay Carrots, Baked Kale Seaweed and a Blackberry and Rosemary Sauce – Maxton Cooke – North Hertfordshire College.
- Gua Bao with Hoisin and Ginger Pulled Turkey Leg – Ryan Howarth – North Warwickshire and Hinckley College.
- Turkey and Spinach Wellington, Fondant Potatoes, Purple Carrot Puree, Roasted Pearl Onions, Charred Gem Lettuce & Smoked Turkey Jus – Siven Jr Pillay – New City College London.
- Turkey Ballotine, Broad Beans, Parsnip and Dill – Max Shipton – University of West London
- Bumbu Bali Marinated Turkey Steamed in Banana Leaf, Served with Peanut Sauce, Sweetcorn Fritters, Turmeric Rice, Turkey Skin Tuile and a Balinese Vegetable Salad – Nicole Watt – North Hertfordshire College
- Turkey Roll with Tomato Sauce, Couscous, Baba Ghanoush, Spinach and Crispy Skin – Bayan Zuraiki – University of West London