MM Industry Awards 2021: winners revealed
The winners of the annual Meat Management Industry Awards were announced on 9th September during a glittering celebratory dinner and ceremony at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole.
Football icon Kevin Keegan OBE presented manufacturers, supermarkets, industry suppliers, trade organisations, catering butchers and independent retailers with their winning trophies.
Having taken place online for the first time last year as a direct result of the Covid-19 pandemic, the annual awards returned this year to an in-person event.
The Meat Management Industry Awards are a celebration of the creativity, innovation and excellence of the UK’s meat industry. The award winners are determined through reader votes and product entries, along with a select judging panel for product evaluation.
A total of 20 accolades were handed out to companies, associations and personalities that struck a chord with readers and judges.
The Excellence Award title went to Rob Smith, UK market director of Danish Crown and chairman of PTF. Another of the night’s most prestigious awards, Young Manager of the Year, was won by Jade Brewer, account manager red meat at Kepak.
Dunbia won the Meat Manufacturer of the Year, and Waitrose was voted Supermarket/Multiple Meat Retailer of the Year. Britain’s Best Butchers Shop went to Dale’s Traditional Butchers in Cumbria.
The 2021 winners in full are:
- The Catering Butcher Award – Owen Taylor & Sons Ltd
- Best Trade Organisation – British Meat Processors Association (BMPA)
- Best Online Business – H Clewlow Butchers
- Best Equipment/Machinery Supplier – Interfood Technology Ltd
- Training Scheme of the Year – M.E.A.T (Ipswich) Ltd
- Young Manager of the Year – Jade Brewer, account manager red meat at Kepak
- Britain’s Best Butcher’s Shop – Dale’s Traditional Butchers – Cumbria
- Supermarket/Multiple Meat Retailer of the Year – Waitrose
- Britain’s Best Sausage – Waitrose 6 British Pork & Caramelised Red Onion Sausages, by Walkers Deli & Sausage Company.
- Britain’s Best Burger – Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference 2 Smoked British Beef Burgers, by Dunbia
- Britain’s Best Meat Pie – Marks & Spencer Large Beef Wellington, by Linden Foods
- Best Bacon Product – Co-op Irresistible Maple Cured Streaky Bacon, by Pilgrim’s UK
- Best Free From Product – Porky Lights’ Lower Fat Sausage, by Porky Whites Limited
- Best Poultry Product – Morrisons Chinese Chicken Stir Fry Meal Kit, by Cranberry Foods / Avara
- Best Beef Product – Asda Extra Special Thick Cut Sirloin Steak, by ABP
- Best Pork/Pigmeat Product – Sainsbury’s Low & Slow Smoky BBQ Pulled Pork Kit, by Cranswick PLC
- Best Lamb Product – Marks & Spencer Master Grill Lamb Cutlets with Garlic and Herb Marinade, by Scotbeef
- Best Red Meat Product – Marks & Spencer Master Grill Lamb Cutlets with Garlic and Herb Marinade, by Scotbeef
- Manufacturer of the Year – Dunbia
- The Meat Management Excellence Award – Rob Smith, UK market director at Danish Crown chairman of PTF.
Keep an eye out for the October edition of Meat Management for the full run-down on the night’s winners and highly commended products. More details on the Awards can be found in our upcoming print issue and also in the online e-magazine.
Graham Yandell, publisher of Meat Management magazine, said: “It has been fantastic to bring the industry back together again for these prestigious awards and I know it has been a very special evening for so many of our guests as we all try our best to get back to something like normal.
“I would like to thank everyone who participated this year and in particular those who delivered products for evaluation back in June, despite various logistical problems and staff shortages. Also, a big thank you to our valued partners who support the awards.”
Yandell continued: “It is a real privilege to stage these awards every year and to host the ceremony. The message now is roll on 2022 when we shall be bigger and better than ever once again.”