Big wins for the meat sector at Food Industry Awards 2022
The annual FMT Food Industry Awards took place at the 5-star Royal Lancaster hotel in London and meat industry products, companies and people were featured prominently amongst the winners and finalists.
The annual Food Awards champion innovation, service and great products from different sectors of food production, manufacturing and retailing.
This year’s black-tie dinner and ceremony was hosted by celebrity chef Matt Tebbutt of TV’s Saturday Kitchen.
The award for Best Red Meat Product went to Pilgrim’s UK for its Waitrose Extra Trimmed Rack of Lamb. Meat industry names were also winners of the awards for Best New Product Development and Best Frozen Product.
The evening’s most prestigious award, Food Industry Champion of the Year, went to Bill Jermey, former chief executive of the Food and Drink Training and Education Council (ftc) and current chairman of the Institute of Meat.
With a 50-year career within the UK food industry, Jermey was recognised for his dedication to improving training schemes within the sector, and for his work in lobbying government to add food manufacturing qualifications to its Lifetime Skills Guarantee programme. His promotion and innovation in apprenticeship initiatives was also a factor.
The FMT Food Industry Awards recognise the best across the UK food industry rewarding organisations, products and suppliers in 15 different categories.
Returning this year as an in-person event, having been moved online in 2021 due to Covid restrictions, guests celebrated the industry in style at a ceremony held in one of Europe’s leading events venues.
Meat industry and allied sector winners were:
- Best Training Initiative – Pilgrim’s UK: Graduates Operational Leadership Trainee Programme
- Best New Product Development – ASDA Extra Special British Thick Cut Sirloin Steak with a Tamarind and Chipotle BBQ Marinade and Mixed Pepper Rub – ABP
- Best Frozen Product – Marks and Spencer British Honey and Mustard Crusted Rack of Lamb – Linden Foods
- Best Red Meat Product – Waitrose Extra Trimmed Rack of Lamb – Pilgrim’s UK
- Best Poultry Product – Morrisons The Butchers on Market Street Chinese Chicken Drums and Thighs – Cranswick Country Foods – Poultry
- Food Retailer of the Year – Aldi
- Food Manufacturer of the Year – Samworth Brothers
- Best Trade Organisation – Provision Trade Federation
- Best Ingredients Supplier – Kerry Taste and Nutrition
- Best Machinery / Equipment Supplier – Handtmann Ltd
- Food Industry Champion – Bill Jermey, former chief executive of ftc and current chairman of the Institute of Meat
Winners in other categories were……
- Best Free From Product – Premium Dairy Free Mango Sorbet – Suncream Ice Cream
- Best Bakery Product – Ocado Oven Bottom Muffins – G H Sheldon Wholesale Bakers Ltd
- Best Seafood Product – Chef’s Larder Premium Luxury Seafood Cocktail – Booker
- Best Dairy Product – Aldi Specially Selected Ice Cream – Salted Caramel – Beechdean Dairies
Commenting on the awards ceremony, publisher of Food Management Today Graham Yandell said: “How delightful it was to see so many people from across the industry joining together for a truly great evening of celebration.
“After the trials of Covid, to enjoy a sociable in-person event once again, after what has been a very challenging period, was a real treat. My thanks to everyone who participated.
“We elevated the Food Industry Awards ceremony to a black tie dinner and ceremony this year after many years as a lunchtime event and it has been a great success. We now look forward to building this popular and important event still further over the years to come.”