Best of the UK meat industry honoured at Meat Management Industry Awards
In the company of stand-up comedian and performer Miles Jupp, the 2017 Meat Management Industry Awards ceremony brought some of the very top names of the UK meat industry together on Wednesday 28th June to celebrate excellence and reward the best, as voted for by the readers of Meat Management magazine and judged by industry experts.
Around 400 guests attended the prestigious black-tie Awards Dinner at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole to network and celebrate with the winning companies, products and organisations.
Winners on the night included Iceland, which received the Supermarket/Multiple Meat Retailer of the Year award and Simpsons Butchers, Heckington, which scooped the Britain’s Best Butcher’s Shop accolade. The coveted Manufacturer of the Year title went to Faccenda Foods Ltd.
The presentation of the Excellence Award closed the evening’s proceedings and was received by Julien Pursglove, Institute of Meat (IoM) accredited Master Butcher for Sainsbury’s. This award is presented to one individual each year who has made an outstanding contribution to the UK meat industry. Julien has been with Sainsbury’s for almost 40 years and was the first supermarket butcher to become an IoM Master Butcher.
Julien said: “I am highly delighted and honoured to have been nominated and to have won this prestigious accolade. Especially as this year I celebrate 40 years in the meat industry, which also co-insides with my year in office as the BDCI Festival Chairman. I would like to thank all those involved in my nomination, and in particular Meat Management.”
A total of 20 awards were made at the dinner, with Miles Jupp hosting the event and presenting the winners with their certificates and trophies. A full list of winners can be found below:
- The Catering Butcher Award: Owen Taylor & Sons Ltd
- Best Trade Organisation: Association of Independent Meat Suppliers (AIMS)
- Best Online Business www.porkywhites.co.uk
- Best Equipment / Machinery Supplier: Interfood Technology Ltd
- Training Scheme of the Year: Cranswick: Management Development Programme
- Young Manager of the Year: Gerard Kennedy – Dawn Meats
- Britain’s Best Butchers Shop: Simpsons Butchers, Heckington
- Supermarket / Multiple Meat Retailer of the Year: Iceland
- Britain’s Best Sausage: Waitrose Pork Sausages with Bramley Apple – Walkers Sausage Co
- Britain’s Best Burger: ASDA Extra Special 2 Wagyu Beef Burgers – ABP
- Britain’s Best Meat Pie: Marks & Spencer Chicken and Bacon Pie – Yorkshire Baker
- Best Bacon Product: Ocado Gold 16 Smoked Streaky Bacon Rashers Dry Cured – Tulip Ltd
- Best Free From Product: Premium Steak Burger – Simon Howie Foods
- Best Poultry Product: Ocado Chicken Crown with Garlic & Rosemary – Moy Park
- Best Beef Product: ASDA Extra Special Slow-Cooked West Country Beef Rib with a Teriyaki Glaze – Dawn Meats
- Best Pork/Pigmeat Product: Morrisons Korean BBQ Pork Ribletts – SV Cuisine / Tulip Ltd
- Best Lamb Product: Co-op Quick Roast Sea Salt & Black Pepper Lamb Joint – Dunbia
- Best Red Meat Product: ASDA Extra Special Slow-Cooked West Country Beef Rib with a Teriyaki Glaze – Dawn Meats
- Manufacturer of the Year Award: Faccenda Foods Ltd
- The Excellence Award: Julien Pursglove – Sainsbury’s
The Awards are partnered by major meat promotional bodies and industry suppliers operating in the UK, including: SealedAir, Bizerba, Handtmann, AHDB Beef and Lamb, Interfood Technology Ltd, Institute of Meat (IoM), HCC / MPW, SF Engineering, Raps UK Ltd, Reiser UK Ltd, CoolKit, Lucas Ingredients , Weddel Swift Distribution Limited, Dawsonrentals Temperature Control Solutions, Multivac, Treif UK, Proseal, Marel AHDB Pork and Kerry.