Meat industry shines during prestigious food award presentations
Products and people from the meat industry were prominent at the annual Food Management Today Food Industry Awards ceremony, which took place online as a virtual event yesterday [1st July].
Taking the top accolade of Food Industry Champion was Adam Couch, the CEO of Cranswick PLC and best trade organisation went to Hybu Cig Cymru – Meat Promotion Wales (HCC / MPW). Best beef product was awarded to a Mayfair of Beef from Marks & Spencer, whilst Morrisons scooped up the Best Poultry Product award for its BBQ Chicken Drumsticks & Thighs, part of Morrison’s Global Grill BBQ range.
In addition, both the Food Manufacturer of the Year won by ABP and Food Retailer of the Year won by Marks & Spencer were recognised, amongst a variety of others.
Normally staged as a physical awards ceremony combined with a lunch or dinner, the 2021 food industry awards went online this year due to the impact of Covid restrictions. As usual the event rewarded top people and companies across 15 categories, with the presentations hosted by broadcaster, actor and writer Alexis Conran, himself the winner of Celebrity MasterChef in 2016.
The 2021 winners are:
- Food Industry Champion: Adam Couch, CEO Cranswick PLC
- Best Trade Organisation: Hybu Cig Cymru – Meat Promotion Wales (HCC / MPW)
- Best Ingredients Supplier: Bosse Interspice
- Best Equipment / Machinery Supplier: Reiser UK
- Best Training Initiative: Princes Limited – Commercial Graduate Programme
- Best New Product Development: Suncream Ice Cream – Gelato Lusso Amarena Cherry Ripple Fat Free Frozen Yoghurt
- Best Free From Product: Marks & Spencer Plant Kitchen Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Best Dairy Product: Lidl Deluxe West Country Butter with Sea Salt Crystals
- Best Frozen Product: Aldi Specially Selected Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Best Seafood Product: JCS Fish Ltd – BigFish Hot Smoked Salmon Fillets
- Best Bakery Product: SPAR UK Zesty Granola Bar
- Best Red Meat Product: Marks & Spencer Mayfair of Beef
- Best Poultry Product: Morrisons BBQ Chicken Drumsticks & Thighs
- Food Retailer of the Year: Marks & Spencer
- Food Manufacturer of the Year: ABP
The Awards attracted a record entry this year with involvement for the initiative coming from right across the food industry in all sectors.
2021 Food Industry Champion Adam Couch of Cranswick PLC, in thanking everyone for the award, said: “The business we have built up here at Cranswick is a team effort and this award is a reflection on the entire Cranswick team. At Cranswick we consider ourselves almost as a family business, as opposed to a PLC. With this type of business it’s not always easy when you have best part of 13,000 colleagues around you, but it is the people working around us that make the difference. We have built an enviable record of employing really talented individuals and they are very much the heart and soul of the business.”
Bob Carnell, the chief executive officer at ABP UK, commented: “We are absolutely thrilled to be named Food Manufacturer of the Year. I am proud to be part of a business that has such passion for excellence for its people, its products and its industry. This recognition is testament to the hard work and dedication from our colleagues across the business for their continued efforts in helping ABP be the best it can be.”
Campbell Breakwell, who is responsible for buying poultry at Morrisons, added: “Morrisons and its supplier Cranswick Country Foods Poultry are delighted to have been judged Best Poultry Product of 2021 in the Food Management Today awards. Morrison’s Global Grill BBQ British Chicken Drumsticks & Thighs are a staple part of the Summer Eating range.”
To view the 2021 ceremony click here.