Winners of the Meat Management Industry Awards 2020 revealed
The winners and finalists of the Meat Management Industry Awards 2020 have been revealed in a bespoke, innovative online format, co-hosted by celebrity magician and TV presenter, Ben Hanlin and publisher of Meat Management magazine, Graham Yandell.
The initiative moved online for the first time this year as a direct result of the coronavirus pandemic. Celebrity magician Ben Hanlin, co-presented the awards, adding a touch of magic to the proceedings. There were also a few special guest appearances, as Graham Yandell reminded viewers about some very funny moments captured on film from previous Awards ceremonies over the years.
Because of problems created by Covid-19, the Young Manager of the Year category and Britain’s Best Butchers Shop category take a gap year in 2020 and are scheduled to return in 2021. Otherwise the ceremony followed the established format and recognised excellence across 18 categories.
For anyone that missed the ceremony, the full presentation is available to view on demand now or to share online at meatmanagement.com/watch-awards. Viewing time is just under 45 minutes.
The 2020 winners are:
- The Catering Butcher Award – Aubrey Allen Ltd.
- Best Trade Organisation – Association of Independent Meat Suppliers (AIMS).
- Best Online Business – The Village Butchers: thevillagebutchers.co.uk
- Best Equipment/Machinery Supplier – Handtmann Ltd.
- Training Scheme of the Year – ftc Butchers Trailblazer Apprentice Scheme
- Supermarket/Multiple Meat Retailer of the Year – Marks & Spencer
- Britain’s Best Sausage – Tesco Finest 4 Pork, Red Leicester Cheese and Jalapeno Hot Dogs, by Walkers Deli & Sausage Co.
- Britain’s Best Burger – Asda Chilli Con Carne Beef Quarter Pounders, by ABP.
- Britain’s Best Meat Pie – Marks & Spencer MMMummy Meat Loaf, by Linden Foods.
- Best Bacon Product – Co-op Irresistible Smoked Back Bacon Rashers, by Pilgrim’s Pride Ltd (formerly Tulip Ltd).
- Best Free From Product – Waitrose & Partners 6 British Pork & Caramelised Red Onion Sausages, by Walkers Deli & Sausage Co.
- Best Poultry Product – Aldi Specially Selected Butter Basted Roast Chicken Breast, by Cranswick Convenience Foods.
- Best Beef Product – Marks & Spencer British Duke of Beef, by Linden Foods.
- Best Pork/Pigmeat Product – Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference British Pork Crackling Rib Roast Joint, by Cranswick Country Foods.
- Best Lamb Product – Lidl Birchwood Minted Lamb Kebabs, by Dunbia.
- Best Red Meat Product – Marks & Spencer British Duke of Beef, by Linden Foods.
- Manufacturer of the Year – Cranswick plc.
- The Meat Management Excellence Award – Norman Bagley, head of policy, Association of Independent Meat Suppliers.
A full background to the winners, plus details of the finalists and highly commended products can be found in the print issue of Meat Management September and also in the online e-magazine, which can now be viewed online here.
Commenting on receiving the Excellence Award for his outstanding contribution to the UK meat industry, head of policy at AIMS, Norman Bagley commented: “I am proud to have won the Meat Management Excellence Award 2020 and to share this with my team, and most of all to share with all AIMS members, as it is they who deliver excellence every day in the form of fresh meat and poultry for consumers in the UK and overseas markets.”
Graham Yandell, publisher of Meat Management magazine, said: “Despite the challenges we faced in the run up these Awards, it’s great to be able to recognise the amazing people, products, companies and organisations that make up this wonderful industry.
“Although we were unable to hold a celebratory dinner as we have done in previous years, this online format, along with the fabulous performance from our guest host, Ben Hanlin, allowed us to continue to shine the brightest of lights across the industry.
“We had nearly 1,000 products entered and judged earlier this year and voting and nominations were once again very substantial across all the non-product categories.
“For anyone that was unable to stream the presentation live, the full ceremony is now available on demand at meatmanagement.com/watch-awards, it’s a lot of fun and features many really big names and great products. Once again, I would like to say a big thank you to all of the partners that have supported this initiative and to everyone who has participated.”
Pam Brook, editor of Meat Management magazine, said: “Many congratulations to all our worthy winners, finalists and highly commended. In the most challenging of years, it’s great to be able to take the time to recognise some of the most important figures that help keep this country fed on a daily basis.
“There will be much more information on all the winners and finalists, as well as the full list of highly commended products, in the upcoming print edition of Meat Management magazine which can also be viewed online here.”
- To view the full Meat Management Industry Awards 2020 Brochure, click here.